”I nvr stopped loving. I jus stopped showin it”…
on Saturday, December 3, 2011


Getting back to my 1st love - writing.


I recently came across this. A customer care executive saying about the saddest call he had to face:

The saddest call of my life was when a women kept referring back to this obscure manual while I was trying to troubleshoot her network. She seemed to be getting some useful information out of it so I asked where it came from and if a tech had written it for her? She says this:
My husband found out he had cancer and had 8 months to live so one of the things he did for me during those 8 months is write a super manual about all of the tech in the house. It's a huge binder that has everything I need to tell another tech after he's gone to maintain my home theater, computers, network appliances, utilities, etc.. He was a programmer before he passed away. He wrote troubleshooting guides for the top 10 things he thought could go wrong and I have had to use this book quite a bit. This is the first time I have had to call someone else. I have a special page for this and he said to please not change the subnet, groups or dhcp range as it may cause a lot of other things to stop working. Whatever that means?

Her words expressed not just her loneliness, but also a feel of pride about the book, a sorrow that she has to use the book, an innocense marked by how she missed her husband and how she valued his care for her.

A customer care executive telling about the one particular phone call that he will never forget:

The saddest call I ever had was from a old woman in West Virginia who insisted that her fence was trying to kill her and they only thing that would save her is putting a password on her wifi. I attempted to get her to the modem's firmware but she said she has never had a computer. I asked if she had any other wireless devices and she said no. Turns out her modem was hanging from the window by a telephone cord..... not plugged in or anything. I told her there wasnt anything i could do and she started crying saying that today she would be killed by the fence.

If you are wondering, dementia, it is. A form of cruelty that the adolescents never get exposed. For a particular person, some friends do not understand him. Friends ignore him. Negligence by others has become a way of life for him. But for her, she has reached a stage where her friends and loved ones can do nothing to let her know that they care. TOO LATE.

What irks me is this particular call, made by an market-researcher, to an elderly woman:

I worked as a "market researcher" aka conductor of phone surveys (I know, ftw) for a while and the saddest call I ever made was to a very elderly lady. I did my whole routine, asking if she wants to participate in a survey and all that, and she responded, voice slow and shaky,"I'm terribly sorry, but I'd rather not do this right now. I fell down yesterday and my arm is broken in three places, and I'm in horrible pain."
So, I broke from the script and simply said, "I totally understand, and I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you feel better very soon."

She then said to me (and here's the kicker), clearly on the verge of tears, "Well, thank you very much. It's nice to know that at least one person cares about me."  

The last thing I heard was a brief second of heavy sobbing before she hung up. It's been almost four years now, and I don't think I'll ever forget that call.

Have we become so narrow-minded? Talking about charity, boasting about your one-time good deeds, spreading what's already spread across the www is not mankind's need of the hour. Man's kind of truthfulness is mankind.

Do not ignore people; they probably just want to talk.

I'm sure, if dementia struck adolescents, we won't have as many young adults worrying about their boyfriend/girlfriend (sometimes in plural). Prioritize your life. Whether it hurts you or makes you happy, make the one's who ignore you happy. It's a fire burnt soul, but sweet enough.


- Booki


------
All quotes are from real incidents (Un-edited). For more: http://www.reddit.com/r/fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu/comments/mwx2o/its_always_the_good_ones/c34jn92 

0 comments:

Post a Comment